Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Happy Birthday to Me!

File:Midsummer bonfire closeup.jpg
A Valborgsafton fire can be even bigger than
this one

Today, the 30th April is celebrated as Valborgsafton (Valborgsmässoafton or simply Valborg) named after a saint. (from wikipedia: 'The current festival is, in most countries that celebrate it, named after the English missionary Saint Walpurga (ca. 710–777/9). As Walpurga was canonized on 1 May (ca. 870), she became associated with May Day, especially in the Finnish and Swedish calendars.')




Cows enjoy the first day outdoors in 2012

People in many places in Sweden will set their old christmas trees on fire (very carefully) and watch the fire and sing songs and have a lovely time with family and friends.
Tomorrow is Labour Day and I will stay away from the protest and enjoy the 'red day'  (aka bank holiday) in Sweden.
Last year we went to a farm to watch the cows being released for the first time for the year. They have been indoors all winter and were rather excited to run out and play in the grass and bounce around as if they were bunnies. It was fantastic! I hope to do that again tomorrow.!



http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/71/Queen_and_King_of_Sweden.jpg/128px-Queen_and_King_of_Sweden.jpg
King Carl XVI Gustav and Queen Silvia

It is also the King of Sweden's (King Carl XVI Gustav) birthday as well.

Oh I also know a couple that was married 2 years ago on this day. :)
So why is this day so significant to me you ask?
Well, it is the 2nd anniversary of the day that I arrived in Sweden, not as a tourist but as a person living here. I am not an immigrant, but I do live here. So it is my swedish birthday. :)





The last 2 years have been a bit of a rollercoaster ride. Many good time. Many terrible times. However it has been an awesome time.
I have learnt so much about myself and others. I have learnt alot about Yahweh and Yeshua. I have met so many people that I have forgotten names and faces without meaning to.
All in all, more than all that I have seen and done, Yahweh has shown Himself to be faithful. He is my Father, and Friend and continues to shape me into someone with more potential that I could have ever had on my own.
Thank you for these years Father.
Thank you Father for the people that you have placed around me. Thank you to the people around who have chosen to be friends. Thanks for all the chicken, and the movies and the laughter and the tears and for your love.
Happy Birthday to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment